Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fright and Flight

Nearly 6 weeks before, that was 2 weeks before my flight to India, I had to suddenly change my airlines from Emirates to Air France. I had travelled before in Lufthansa and Emirates and know pretty well about their air crafts and the baggage allowance. Well, this is the most important fear factor for everyone. Who wants to pack up excess, then throw away, simple but heart rendering stuff away in the last moment at the check in counter?! I definitely don’t want too!

So, Air France was new to me and they allowed just 20Kg of baggage. I don’t understand why people want to start a panic by discouraging them about the flight. I was discussing my India trip over the phone with my friend and as soon as he heard the airlines name, he was like “I’ve travelled once with that, its totally galeej (dirty) flight. It’s like taking a town bus in India. Rickety seats, dirty floors, not so friendly air hostesses and very bad food. Why did you have to book with this airline?” He literally took my enthusiasm about the flight, though the destination home was an annulling factor to his comments. So, I made up my mind, don’t care about the flight, just get on, think India and you are home!

The days rolled by and I had packed my baggage and weighed it, 21.7Kg. Not a big deal at all and for a frequent flier with various airlines, I knew it would pass through. Just when I was calling to say goodbye to friends, the second panic switch was pressed. “Do you know, these days everything is so strict. You flew a year back with a few kilograms excess. It’s near to impossible these days. I paid 90 Euros for an excess of 3Kg in Lufthansa and I’ve heard Air France is more expensive and totally strict. So, be prepared to pay for your excess” Well, it wasn’t really the panic button for me, but for my friend. I was carrying her expensive sarees to be delivered to her house and that was the major part of the baggage. I told her what I heard about Air France and she said she will come to the airport in morning (it was a very early flight!) and in case they demand money, she will take her sarees back. Well, it was disappointing for everyone, until check in…

The baggage weighed 22.7Kg on the counter! I bit my lips and crossed my fingers as the lady scanned my passport and visa. I could hear my friend chanting prayers that she must let the luggage through and then tadaa… It was through! No questions, no raised eyebrows, it was just through!

After crossing the first hurdle, the second one was still nudging my peace. Will the flight actually be as my friend described?! Well, I soon found. It wasn’t! I would rate it as the best one I actually flew with. Class interiors, awesome leg space, comfortable push back, tasty and good food and entertaining selection of movies! What else can you ask for?!

I don’t understand why people have to be so discouraging and negative about every airlines! Especially when someone is about to travel, isn’t it always good to put the positive points and if there arnt any positive points, why blow up the bad ones? Anyways, we cannot change the flight in the last minute just because someone tells it’s the worst! Grow up people, seriously!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

it not only happens with respect to travelling but in selecting schools, colleges, different courses,tourist spots, hotels, including a life partner. may be it is the mentality of indians. or u can take even this as a positive note. coz u look for the worst and u will get anything better than worst.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
prasanna venkatesh said...

@ Anonymous : thanks for the comments, but who is commenting?!!

Meenu said...

hi, i had an unpleasant experience of making unknown friends.so, when i go through some nice posts in the blog, i give comment maintaining anonymity. but, u have deleted the anonymous option i believe. anyways, ur style of writing compelled me to create a new id to post comments. if u dislike, u can delete mine. this is for ur information. u can delete it after reading. surely, one day i will let u know who i am.from now on i will comment from this id. have a nice day chap.

Meenu said...

by the way, do u like my comments?

prasanna venkatesh said...

comments are appreciated ! Indentiy would be more welcome..!

Meenu said...

Hi, very soon i will tell u who i am!

shanmuganathan said...

Yeah you are correct da, people sometime try to impose their experience to others. The good part is they share their exp, but we should not come to a conclusion on that until we verify it. I am happy that you did not face the similar experience like ur friend.

RadGoesMad said...

How are you Mr.Prasanna?
I am Mrs.Rathikha BaLA's professor.
Almost a similar experience I had last year when i made my first overseas trip.Actually on my return trip, since i wore a heavy gold bangle with lots of flower designs, the security personnel asked me to remove my bangles to be scanned. Alas, as it was gifted by my mom five years back, and i could not remove it. I tried my level best to remove it, but my efforts proved to be vain.This happend after me and my little daughter bade farewell to my husband in the muscat seeb international airport.Wild imagination about the tough arabian rules got my eyes welled up. Looking at my plight, the security personnel(never to mention, controlling his laughter at the ring sized bangle) let us in. Till now, it sends a chill in my spine!