Monday, February 09, 2009

Electrical Gadgets, some memories of 2000

A sudden urge to write just filled me. Is it because the volume of diethyl ether I have kept under argon will probably take 4-5 hours for evaporation or am I getting bored of trying to fix the conformation of my compound to perform density function theory calculations? I guess it’s because of the Harris Jeyraj music in the background and the fact that I just read a lot of very good blogs (some of my old ones too!).

For the past few minutes I have been staring at my screen deciding on what to write. I know that now, whatever I decide on, is not going to hinder my thought flow and words are going to be typed until my co-worker sitting opposite to me goes mad due to the non stop sound of the keyboard.

Somehow my thoughts stray back to my 10th standard EG classes! Every Friday was a treat for us because the two classes before lunch was EG and typewriting and we had so much of free time and fun. Our EG teacher was a very old yet stylish mallu guy named Balakrishna Nair. I have a very clear picture of how we were seated too! Two parallel rows and boys on one side and girls on the other and the teacher could move in between. I used to sit at the very first and opposite to me was her as usual and always. Besides me was Karthik followed by Vivek. The line further down had no significance since the source of maximum distraction and fun has already been listed.

Our master seldom took classes. Usually the blackboard had some stuff already written with which we had to copy to our record notebooks and then idle away the rest of the time silently. But me, Karthik and Vivek had other plans. We started directing movies with our EG master as the hero! We even used to tell it to him and every time he moves or tells some stuff in the class, we used to pre phrase it by ‘ Movie name – Scene 1 – Take 1 ‘. The hero entry for the movie was like this… Our EG sir comes in, takes a live wire to his head and the shock makes the hair on his head stand straight. Then he takes some styling gels and puts his hair back and then pick up his 1 meter long wooden scale and walks to hit the students, Darpan, Siva Saravanan and Arvind who have been playing sharpener game! Our EG sir for some reason disliked when students played that game in his class: P

I always wondered how he heard the chaos of the sharpener game in the last benches for in the first row; we used to make such a racquet. I always used to sharpen a small knife on a touchstone with Karthik trying to spin the touchstone faster and faster to produce more noise and sparks! Somehow he never scolded us for doing that, though the girls opposite to us complained.

May be he was frustrated with scores of students taking his subject as a fun session or may be he didn’t really mind all this as it reminded him of his younger days. Whatever is was, these are just beautiful memories!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

China meri naina!!
what an experience. at that time i felt 10th standard was a real pain and not what i wanted to do@!!.. with all the HW and studying, i was at the edge. but still i really enjoyed the time we spent together, yeah, especially the EG class!!!(but still not like the time we spent during Project-Birds and Solar Cooker!!!). it was just wonderful recalling those years which has just flown past, but still clear in my memory(as if it happened yesterday).
Your concoction of ideas on why Sir Balakrishnan's(probably we can recommend him for a knighthood) hair style is electrified is really funny and i still remember the time when you mentioned it and we all had a great laugh!!!(probably you forgot Typing master - laad labakdas!! :D :D ).
As usual you witty writing lines laced with humour are your forte.. super machi. reading this blog made me realise how much we did during those eventful(or uneventful??) days!! keep going machi!!...

prasanna venkatesh said...

China meri naina ! Gosh.. how did I fail to mention it?! Our birds and solar cooker are already on the pipeline towards publishing :) I didnt forget our Hitler da.. just that we didnt have any "events" with him !!

Lakshmi said...

nice memories...
enjoying knowingly every minute is a gift by itself.
momentary and harmless happenings remain in our mind for ever.waiting for more blogs, as these blogs take me to your 10 th std... imagine how you used to look very chamathu at home !!

Unknown said...

HI AUNTY!!
i couldnt even believe that it was you who left the comment!!.. the last line is what gave me the clue!! so how are you aunty?? hope you and uncle are fine...
btw even now rp looks "chamathu" .. his skiing pics atleast tells that!! doesnt it??
you can expect more from him, be it chemistry or a nice blog.. that guy is versatile!! with his "chamathu" smile of course!!! :D :D

Lakshmi said...

hi vevek, a plesant surprise meeting on a common platform...all of you ceeka, vivi and rp are sooo chamathu...only..
i am now seeing lots of school boys, and i am really scred to talk to them...
as much as prasanna , i remember each one of your classmates....both girls and boys...
nice days....mail me when you are free. uncle too wants to mail you..
all de best:)