Monday, November 10, 2008

A FULL BLADDER AND CONVERSATION

Am sure many guys have been in this situation, with a full bladder and an interesting girl in the conversation!

It was after the welcome dinner at the FEBS crystallization course in Czech Republic. It was the first international congress I was attending after starting my PhD and I was highly excited to be encircled by PhD’s from around the world. All the twenty four participants were having a good time after dinner. After a game of pool with friends and beer, I felt the need to take a leak to get more comfortable and started walking towards the rest room. I had to cross the big hall where we had dinner and groups of students were discussing science and politics and religion.

Just half way through the hall, this female researcher intercepted me. She introduced herself and shook my hand and asked mine and my research status. I told her in brief about my project and my need of crystals. Crystallographers usually need good diffracting crystals and when I told her that I am ok with crystals that just diffract, she was shocked! According to her, it was blasphemy! Then I explained in detail and she was impressed. The fact that she got impressed, made me more excited and the purpose of my walk through was forgotten for the moment.

Minutes rolled by and I felt nature calling me loudly, but I fought it back. I did not want to break the great scientific rapport that was building on and that too with a beautiful female researcher! She started into the details of her project and the difficulties she was facing. My mind was half concentrating on her words and half working on to avoid spillage. Nobel laureate Peter Agre’s words got reminded “If you fight back the sensation, then it has to get back inside after sometime. This cycle is most important and is responsible for the fact that many of you are sitting here and listening to me without running off to take a leak!.” But I think he forgot to mention the time frame of the get back inside for it felt like an over flooded dam ready to break any second. I crossed my legs and now I could not hear her words at all. Still she kept talking and talking and I was rooted just for the fact that she was talking. My responses became routine. A nod, smile, yes ofcourse and aahan’s became programmed for auto intervals.

I could have just told her that I needed to take a leak and go off, but also there was the fact the when I came back from the rest room, I will not be able to continue this great conversation and I knew that other guys were ready to pounce on her the moment I left the scene. But then finally, after an hour of fight back and conversation, she wanted to get some beer and I used this opportunity to tell her that I need to remove the excess beer accumulated in me and ran off towards bliss!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

thought that i will be the first to comment.. but seeing the above comment made me sure that this blog has striked a wrong chord with someone :D (whowm i know???). since it was anonymous i was a bit happy since it might not be the one(whowm i know??).
anyway this comment is commenting on the comments commented by one of your ardent commentors(horrible right??)
machi.. was just feeling that the true YOU is what it is.. isnt it?? you havent changed much... though i doubt whether you went to the restroom or went along with her for another beer.(capable of a person who can block it for so long)(also capable of a person who compared leaking to attaining nirvana 2 years ago in Himalaya messs in iitm along with waj and me)... more funny incidents on the way?? would love to read it.. or rather start another blog commenting on your blogs.. :D

prasanna venkatesh said...

@VM : i never did change da. i dont think a change is necessary in me! and life is sure filled with incidents like this! def i didnt go for the beer :)

@ anonymous : sorry, comment had to be deleted. it wasnt in respect to my blog.

Lakshmi said...

hey !!!! its really very nice to read the build up. i know certain things said may not be true... that you drank sooo much beer and all... probabaly the urge for the leak is true. i could see more SUJATHA (writer) in you... who never bothers about the charisma or image when he wants to make his readers admire him or read with some awe to what he writes. many people will not understand the fun and the original you which i do understand... i trully enjoyed living the situation... keep such stories up ...

chromophore said...

haha..!! wish i knew this trick when i was a kid eating masala dosai in bangalore.. hehe..

Ignoramus said...

hehe very nice da.."Am sure many guys have been in this situation, with a full bladder and an interesting girl in the conversation! " brings back memories man! ;) very nice da :) i need to ask u only one thing..after working so hard and fighting against all odds for an hour did u get her phone number/email id or anything? :D going by your description i don't think you would have missed out but still am just curious ;)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely ROTFL... He he .. only you can come up with these ;) and i'm sure someone out there isnt going to be all that pleased about this.. :P