Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Missing Amma

The colours have changed. The autumn leaves crumble beneath my feet as I walk my way up to my institute. It’s a typical September morning and the trees shower their yellow leaves every time the chill wind rushes. I am all geared to fight the cold with my denim jacket and a Kashmir shawl wrapped around my neck.

He has to walk down hill to catch his school bus, a boy nearing his double digit age. His morning face was a substitute for the sun that was denied its show by the mist and fog.
One good thing about school here is, the children don’t need a bulldozer to lift their books unlike how it is back home. And so, this young guy was all set and his mother was opening the gate for him.

It was just a usual scene. The one that happens and happened in everyone’s life. But when I saw it, I could not control my emotions and memories came flooding back. His mom bent down and kissed him on his cheeks and he returned it with his hands wrapped around her neck and then started skipping off. He turned back and waved to him mother and she was waving to him leaning on to the gate. The boy kept waving until the distance from which he could no longer see his mother and his mother kept waving to him until the tip of his cap disappeared. I miss my mother.

Well yeah, she was there with me here and it was just like being home. She used to walk with me to the institute everyday and used to be there every time I returned home after a tired day. I never told her then how comfortable it was, but at least now I want to. Waking up to an empty house and entering one has become a routine now and I tell you, it’s the most painful phase to go through. But the memories and love will keep me going until things get back to how I want them to be.

No comments: